Sunday, January 29, 2012

Kids Are Growing Up Way Too Fast

As the oldest daughter of the family, I can see things that my two little sisters can't. One of my sisters is a sophomore right now, and she tells me what kind of drama her friends are having. Sometimes it's really funny, and other times it's ridiculous. For instance, she once told me about how one of her friends dated this guy, he cheated with her, and were reunited awkwardly at turnabout. Listening to this story, I was so shocked to see what her friends are going through because I have never experienced this much drama myself. So I don't know what it's like. And then I have to remember that these kids are two years younger than me.
Something else to consider is the fact that they are airing shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant. It's scary to think about because the girls are practically the same age as us. So I can't imagine having to go through the same obstacles with them, considering school, colleges, and more. Since MTV started showing this, there have been much controversy about whether or not they should air it because many parents are outraged by it.
I even consider the kind of lifestyle my parents had when they were teenagers. Much has changed since the time they were in high school. I think their lifestyle is definitely much more old-fashioned. However, I also think it was much more innocent.
Obviously, these kids are not as mature as I am now. But I can't imagine how and why they would involve themselves in these kinds of situations. It's like they put themselves there to gain attention, because they care about what others think about them, or because they are just plain ignorant. Whatever it is, I just don't understand why kids think they have to do these things that they aren't ready for, and put themselves at a lot of risk for losing their innocent charm.

1 comment:

  1. Lalita:

    I'm not sure what your bias is here. Is it the bias of having more knowledge with experience and how that knowledge clashes with what you're seeing your sister go through? On the other hand, is this even a bias? Try to be more clearer in identifying your bias -- give it a specific name.

    ReplyDelete