I know, it's so cliche. From the Harry Potter series, I present He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named as the best monster out there! In Hogwarts, no one even dares to call him by his real name. So I'll try not to mention his name...
Anyway, I think he is the best monster because of his evilness. First of all, who would even attempt to kill an innocent baby? It's common belief to never get close to killing a baby. It's not even something a bad person would think about doing. They always pursue to hurt the adult instead of the baby. When his attempt to kill Harry fails, he becomes even more upset about his powers. Throughout the rest of the series, his ultimate goal is to kill Harry Potter by all means necessary.
It's also interesting how he started off as a regular student at Hogwarts: Tom Riddle. In the Harry Potter movies, there are flashbacks about Tom Riddle as a student. He seems like a regular kid who did very well in school. However, there's something fishy about how he can talk to snakes and use magic for evil things. When Dumbledore sees He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, he definitely sees Tom Riddle in him too.
Things become even more complicated in the last movie of the Harry Potter series. Harry learns that if he wants to kill He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, he must also kill himself. In a way, it seems like Harry and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named are the same, exact person. Yet, Harry is the guy that sheds light, and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is the most evil person in this world. If you want to know what happens (which I think most of you should already know), I really recommend watching/reading the Harry Potter series.
It's interesting how some great monsters remind us of ourselves and our own weaknesses. I've only red the first "Harry Potter" book (sorry!), but it seems like Tom Riddle shares so many traits with other students. Perhaps the fact that he fell into a life of evil is a reminder that it can happen to other students, too.
ReplyDeleteHere's a suggestion: further develop WHY he's "evil" in your words. Isn't every monster evil? Explore what makes he-who-cannot-be-named different enough to make him "best of all time."